China Grove Main Street 5k 6.12.09

One hot, fast night was happening in the China Grove Main Street 5k Friday. The race started at 9 pm and the runners went out hard. Ryan Wood was leading the way. He posted a time of 14:58 just 10 seconds off the course record. The women were not to be out done with Amber Moran going out fast and posting a time of 17:39.

Lana Torkildsen took home the female master award with a swift 22:30. I posted a 17:27 just ahead of local master’s ace Milton Matheny. Milton is working his way back from a foot injury but seems to be plenty fast.

RMS provided the race timing and results

Dave Freeze did a nice write up in the Salisbury, NC Newspaper.

Other news and notes, during the warm up, we took the opportunity to pre run the course. At around 1 ½ the bugs were so bad that you had to cover your eyes. Fortunately, during the race, those bugs disappeared.
Post race, there was tons of fruit, cookies, water, and Gatorade. Oh, yeah, plenty of good music.

After the race it is always a good time to catch up with people that you have not seen in a while. I got a chance to talk to Bob M for a few minutes. His foot appears to be healing nice. He ran 15:58. Also I got a chance to chat briefly with Stuart Moran about his London marathon. Margaret Hagerty was at the race. Margaret is a local master’s running legend, but I guess she has finally reached the age where they no longer post her age in the results. I just hope to be running if I make it to her age – let alone still competing.

As for how my race went. Well, okay I guess. I had felt bad all week. I came down with a stomach bug on Tuesday and felt like I had been struggling uphill in every workout. Going out the first mile, I thought I was running really hard, but the clock only showed 5:29. The 2nd mile I was catching people who had went out too fast. I thought it would be a faster mile, but it showed up at 5:35. The 3rd mile I was running hard and throwing in surges but passing by the 3 mile mark, I clocked a 5:42. Finally, I crossed the finish line in 17:27. I guess it really wasn’t that bad considering how bad that I felt. I usually don’t like to make excuses. I go out race as hard as I can. There are just times went things go better than others.

Overall, I have great Kudos for the 5k race committee and the entire China Grove community that support and come out to see this event. It is the type of thing that keeps me coming back for years to come.

Comments

Popular Posts