CTTC Summer Track - Week 1


Last night, I drove across town to Myers Park High School for the CTTC Summer Track Meet. They have serveral events ranging from 50 meters to 2 mile.

I usually do at least 2 events. This year I ran the mile and the 4x100 with daughters.

Driving in you can see the registration table and there was a long line. I can never remember there being such a long line in the past, but this was actually a good thing. This meant there would be a good number of runners coming out to support these meets. In trying times, support to an event means everything.

As I warmed up for mile, I found time to chat with Steve and Pete among others. It was a perfect because it gave many of us time to catch up. Most of the races, we only see each other at the starting line and then everyone splits soon after the race.

After the 50 and 100 events, it was time for the mile. They split us into 2 groups and for better or worse I was in the fast group.

I ran the first two quarters I ran about 75 seconds, but then the ugliness marathon started to set in. I ran the next 2 quarters in 80 and 83 for a 5:13. Not bad and definitely it was better than I expected. I was following Steve for the first 2 quarters but then he was able to run the same pace or better for the last two quarters.

My daughters ran the mile in the 2nd heat. The oldest ran about 8:49 and middle daughter ran about 8:53. The youngest ran 10:35 which is great for a 6 year old in her first mile race. I am taking a wait and see approach if they want to run the mile next week.

Right after the 2nd heat of the mile came the 4x100. My youngest daughter ran the first leg. I ran the 2nd leg. My middle daughter ran the 3rd leg and my oldest daughter ran anchor leg. We finished 2nd to last but it didn’t matter; it was great fun doing something with them.

Needing to cool off, I ran a few more laps on the track to shake off any lasting lactic acid in the muscles.
I watched a few more events before heading off to Fuel Pizza for some refueling.

-btw my daughters sleep like rocks last night. :)

Comments

Popular Posts