If I were in charge

Most morning, I usually turn on WFNZ Sports talk radio so I can get my daily sports fix. The MAC Attack is as informative as it is funny. Today, as usual they have some interesting topic which I am sure they hope will inspire callers to the station. I am not much of a radio caller, but this morning topic did prompt my post for today.

Their topic of this morning was ‘What would you change if you were in charge of your favorite sport”.

As you might have guessed running would be my sport and a couple things quickly came to mind.

If I were in charge of Track and Field, I would work with the Networks to show more coverage of the distance events. Showing just the last 2 laps of the 5000 or 10,000 events doesn’t do enough for me.

However, I am realistic so I am not expecting an end to end showing. We have all grown up accepting commercial breaks during any events that we watch on TV. I would be happy with seeing every 4th lap, 5k split and the final 4 or 5 laps. After all, I can spend 4 hours watching NASCAR and they do pretty much the same thing. They go around in circles.

The other change that I would like to see is having separate starts for women and men’s road race events. Pretty much the time has come for women to have their own race starts and not be shrouded in masses of men. Additionally, it gives women the opportunity to have their races unfold without it being unduly influence.

Now, before you blow my idea out of the water, yes, I know the logistic are probably a nightmare to do on a local level. But what if you started a 5k 10 or 15 minutes before the men’s race, it is very unlikely that any men would catch them.

I have some other things that I would like to the change, but these two came to mind first. If you were in charge, what changes would you make?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Only if we get better announcing. Listening to Larry Rawson and Lewis Johnson cover distance racing is almost painful. They need to bring in Todd Williams and Ed Eyestone to commentate for these longer races, or maybe Alan Culpepper now that he has retired.
I like your suggestions. :)
Tim said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said…
For the entire sport to gain popularity, the last thing you would want from a marketing standpoint is to show more distance races. Unfortunately. NASCAR is a different beast... whereas the USATF is trying to work with a million here and a million there in advertising money, NASCAR and it's fans are dealing in the billions! More people show up for one NASCAR race than all the US pro track meets combined in a year. It's like comparing the NBA playoffs to the WNBA regular season.

Sadly, the best way for 'distance running' specifically to gain in general popularity lies in the outlets like Flotrack and Runner's Space... eventually media will be moving more towards these niche outlets and with it will come the sponsorship money.

I can go on all day about what the USATF needs to do, unfortunately they are oblivious and continue to run the sport poorly. In the end it's a business, and until they approach the networks with a business and profit plan, no one is going to be willing to step up with major dollars.
No argument here. I too recognize that money drives everything, and I guess I should be happy that they put T&F on TV at all.
Anonymous said…
The IAAF's new Diamond Leage set-up next year is definately a step in the right directions. The U.S. will have 2 meets in that series - Reebok and Pre. All meets will be packaged into a 2 hour format easier for TV packaging and the level of competition should be higher.

For more on it check out:

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/document/competitions/competition/04/95/47/20090302095648%5fhttppostedfile%5fiaafdiamondleague%5fsummary%5f8970.pdf
Disco CL said…
Oh man, i DVR'ed nationals and was watching it last night, how many times can these commentators screw up runner's names? they get paid to do this? Geez

"Rupp makes his move, now Jim Ryun is pulling up to his hip"

I wouldn't put it past those o so knowledgable guys.
Coach Spencer said…
Just count the number of replays they do for the 100m. Then the interviews (often skipping the winner if it's not the favorite). I'd guess the coverage of Nationals this year was something like 75-80% sprints; 15-20% distance; 5% field. The part that doesn't make a whole lot of sense is there are millions of distance runners in the US. How many people out there ran a local 200m race this weekend?
Coach Spencer said…
Good idea about the women's start.
You are right. There are many more distance runners than sprinters.

Popular Posts