First outdoor ride of the year

The temperatures have been pushing up in to the 80s and low 90s in the past few weeks. Each time it does, I want to push my bike out the door for a ride. Yesterday, the day finally came.

Aired up the tires. Cleaned the chain. Checked the brakes and the shifters. Then, after work I headed out the door.

The warm temperature was everything that I had been imagining. It felt absolutely awesome to be cruising along.

The only real adjustment was settling my nerves to the traffic. Riding indoors I lose the feel for what it is like to have a car buzz by me at 55 mile per high and 2 feet away. The momentary shift in the air rocks both me and my bike.

What makes this a special experience is that I am usually on a two lane road. The road is usually just wide enough for 2 cars to pass. If I am riding along the white line, any pressure from the air automatically tries to send me into the grass. Road bikes don’t handle well once they enter the grass so it is rather important that I maintain my riding line. Above all, I stay on the asphalt.

Asside from dealing with the passing cars, my ride went well. I rode up to the Huntersville Business Park and did some laps. On the north side Charlotte this is the place to ride. The lanes are wide and they have cycling lanes. This is the precise reason why many cyclist can be find riding there are all year around.

During the dark months of winter, the street lights provide more than ample lighting for riding.

My ride last just over an hour yesterday. Even this morning I am feeling it in my legs.

There will be no riding today but assuming the weather cooperates, I will be out for another ride on Wednesday. After a couple weeks of solo riding, I should be ready to jump in a few group rides and get myself a real workout.

I am looking forward to it.

 

Sharing one thought at time

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts