Spartan Races

Via stories from other runners, Spartan races have the reputation for being insanely hard. Flipping huge tires, climbing walls, crawling through mud is this really having a good time. Some people might say yes.

Doing one of these races just hasn’t been my radar. After all, I run every day. I cannot recall but it has been a long time since I last had to climb over a wall during one of my runs. I did get a plenty of mud on me during my last run at McAlpine. However, I suspect it doesn’t begin to compare with the amount of mud taken on during a Spartan race.

So why am I talking about the Spartan races? Well, this week my buddies at TrySports invited me to join them for an upcoming Spartan race here in Charlotte.

When the invite came out, I laughed. But as I thought more about it, why not try it.

Runners have a warped sense of what fun really is anyway.LOL.

So I signed up.

What is my goal for the race? The answer is easy. I want to finish and without hurting myself.
Maybe the real first clue that this is a hard race comes during the registration process. The checkout page list a line item for insurance and tells me that it is required. $14 bucks for this insurance. I have run quite a few races over my many years of running. Never have I bought insurance for a race.

Spartan races are more about the experience and challenging yourself to do something different and difficult. I want to believe this is the primary reason that people do them. I like to step outside my norm from time to time. This Spartan race should qualify.

 

Sharing on thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts