Mt. Charlotte hill loop

Over the years, I have lost count of the number of times that I have run from the Old Bell entrance to the McAlpine Greenway. Many of these times, I have run the little out and back along “Old Bell” road just to add some mileage.

Never once have I been so incline to make the left turn and head the “super” steep hill at the end of this road.

Why not? Well, for starters, I run at McAlpine for one major reason. McAlpine offers probably the flattest stretch of dirt for running in Charlotte. Driving to McAlpine just to run hills doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Fast forward to last weekend, I am running with the Beantown Bound Boys on a 16 mile run. About 12 miles, they decided to do the Mt. Charlotte hill loop. I hear them talking about this loop only two things ring clearly: “4 phases” and “Steep”.  I suspect that I will regret my decision to follow them.

We head up the first hill. It hurts. My stride slows and my breathing picks up. We hit the second and third hills. They are just as tough and maybe longer. We hit the forth hill which just leaves my hip flexors aching.

I tell Dan that I really hate him for dragging me up over these hills. LOL.

We headed back to the park and I really wanted to finish with just some flat easy miles. No, the Beantown boys decided to do it again.

Yes, I could have opted out. There is no really shame in having some common sense. But no, I join in and run the Mt. Charlotte loop for a second time.

An age old question needs to be asked. Is it better to know what’s coming or to proceed forward blindly?

Speaking specifically for this particular loop, I would say go into it blindly.

My quads and hip flexors were absolutely trashed.

Will I do it again? Heck yeah.

 

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts