Getting older

As we get older we all lose muscular strength. The decrease usually starts after in our 30s and seems to increase as we enter are 40s, 50s, and so on.

I realize that I am not immune to this effect, but I thought I was doing the right workouts to slow its progress.

This all seemed to be working until the last couple of years.

Around 48, my stride rate seemed to slow by a few steps and my ability to tackle hills become tougher. Sometimes, I feel more like I am running in to the hill than running up it.

The frustrating part is to run up a familiar hill that I once bounded up effortless. The same hill now seems longer and steeper.

Combine this with the facts that my max heart rate is ever decreasing and my ability to recover from hard workouts takes longer and longer, I am now a runner that is being held together with duct tape and bubble gum.

The saddest part is that I will never be any better than I am today. Am I being too pessimistic or what?

Getting older and slowing down is all part of life.

At some point, I may decide the effort vs. the reward is just not worth it. I just have not reached this day as yet.

Today, I will head out for my tempo run and continue the fight against getting older for another day.

 

Sharing one day at time,

The Cool Down Order

Comments

Popular Posts