10,000 Days Group Run



My 10,000th consecutive day was just absolutely an awesome experience Wednesday. I could not have imaged anything better.

But before going forward, let’s go back.

Let’s go back a few months. This whole idea for this group run germinated out of a conversation that occurred during a run. I was telling everyone that I was coming up on 28 years without missing day. I guess the next logical question was that was asked – just how many consecutive days was it?

I did some calculations and discovered that I was coming up on my 10,000th day. This was back in early January. Someone actually told me last night that I was lucky. I could have discovered this fact on day 10,001. I had to laugh their comment because they were absolutely right. What a bummer it would have been to figure it out after the fact.

I, then, created a FaceBook event for it and added it to our CRC upcoming event calendar. There was the initial buzz about it and then, things died down about it.

About a week ago, things started pickup up steam again. We were posting it to our club’s FaceBook and Twitter accounts. Anytime I was running with a group, I told them about it and invited them to attend.
Melinda gets a “big thumbs up” for getting the word out to the Charlotte Observer which ran a store about it. Also, she got WBTV to run a piece about in their “Good News” segment.

By the time yesterday arrived, I couldn’t wait to for 6:30 and head down to Triple C Brewery for my run.
Running has given me a happy and healthy life, but it has given me so much more. Through running I have been blessed to have made so many great friendships. These are people that otherwise I would have never met.

Rick, Danny, David, John, Chaz, Loril, Wendy, Rob, Paul, Billy, Steve, Ed, Pete, Matt, Suzanne, Mike, Jinnie, Stan, “Roxie”, Noah, Peter, Sharon, Anthony are just a few of the runners and “dog” to help me celebrate this day.

I would like to especially thank Peter from Vac & Dash Running Store in Albemarle for giving out free “10,000 Day t-shirts” to everyone that ran last night.  I had no idea that he was planning to do this. Peter is an awesome guy which is major reason that I journey over to Albemarle to run their race during the year. 

I would like thank Mike for the picture that everyone signed last night. I met Mike about 6 years ago and since then we have done may runs together some through thunderstorms. His gift was awesome and one that 

I will treasure forever.

Just before we went running last night, Jinnie and TrySports presented me with a new Garmin. About 7 years ago, I got hooked up with the guys from TrySports. Like a bad penny, they just have not been able to get rid of me. They do a lot for running here in Charlotte, and I love being on their TrySports Ambassador team.

One of the nicest surprises came from Wendy and Rob. They presented me with a huge brownie with my “10,000 Days” inscribed on top of it. Thank you both for this gift. Please know that it went over well. Pete and Mike came back for seconds and possibly thirds.

What will I be doing on day 10,001? The answer is I will run. There is no end in sight at this point.

Also I want to announce right now that I will be holding my 30 years of running celebration on Oct 20th, 2016 at Triple C Brewery at 6:30 PM. Put it on your calendars now.


Sharing one thought at time,
The Cool Down Runner   

Comments

Popular Posts