Huntersville ½ marathon – recap – Dec 3 2011

Disappointing is probably a little too strong of a word to describe my effort today but that is how I pretty much feel. Going into the race I was expecting something in the 1:24 range but the effort just never materialized.

The start was delayed several times and most everyone was bouncing around trying to stay warm. When we were finally sent on our way, my breathing was unusually labored. The first mile was in 6:20. Mike, Chris, Megan, and Caleb were taking it out pretty slow so I was settled in behind them.

During the 2nd mile, we were doing a little more pulling and the breathing pushed to being heavy. Mile 3 and the first part of mile 4 were not bad. My legs were feeling decent.

Then, the hills started.

My hamstring wasn't having any of it and I was starting to slow. By mile 5, I realized things were not going to go well. Mile 6 and Mile 7 passed as we headed up Stumptown Rd.

After the neighborhood loop, I felt the first wheel come off. By 10 miles, both wheels were gone and I was riding on the rims. The last 3 miles were as much a mental torture as a physical one.

Before this race, I had decided on switching up my racing flats. After getting a bad blister on my right foot at OBX, I thought going in a different direction would be the right course of action.

Hindsight, it was probably wasn't. My right foot got another blister just in a different spot from the ones I earned at OBX. Thank goodness for small favors.

Crossing the last major intersection, I was all but done and the body was more than ready to be finished.

Navigating between the buildings seemed to take forever before the finish line finally came into sight. Time for racing was over and the time for walking was about to begin.

Mike came up to ask if I was alright and my response - "yeah, just having a bad day".

Disney Marathon is a little more than 5 weeks from now and normally, my training would usually look pretty promising.

However, since this hamstring injury occurred, my racing has gotten progressively worse. Today's race pounded the final nail in my coffin. The best thing to do is stop racing and go back just running aerobic miles until my hamstring and body "come right". That is except for Disney. 100+ dollar entry fee is pretty hard to throw down the drain so I will go, run, and take the unpleasantness that comes with it.

2011 is nearly over and I am ready to put it behind me. Come on 2012 and show me something promising; I am ready for it.


 


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts