59:59 then a treadmill expects a cool down

Yesterday, I learned two new things. First, the treadmills at the Y only go to 59 minutes and 59 seconds before they automatically convert over to a cool down run for 5 minutes. The second, if running on a treadmill is going to become a habit, my iPod needs a longer play list.

Going to the Y treadmill was my way of avoiding the rain yesterday. And, a lot of good did it do me. Running outside, I would have almost assuredly gotten soaked. Running inside, I pretty much got the same result. Crank up the heat to 72 degrees for an hour and half and the perspiration comes rolling out. Leaving me soaked with sweat dripping from my shorts and shirt. Yes, there was a towel handy. Well, the towel was handy at the start. Within 30 seconds, it fell to the floor and once running I don't stop.

Those who know me know that I don't run with an iPod. I am not fawn of the wire dangling against me. But with a 12 mile run staring me down, the silent movie version of Y TV overhead, and the distance counter on the treadmill O so slowly accumulating the miles, my mind need something to lose itself for a while. Out came my iPod.

Listening to music does help and really helped with the miles between 6 and 12. Getting lost in the song and mentally singing along helped to pass the seconds turning into minutes and the quarters turning into miles.

Running at the Y is kind of like having a group run with strangers. Being on the treadmill for a long period of time, gives the opportunity to see many people come and go. Many often stare either at the amount of perspiration dripping on to my treadmill or at the display on the treadmill. Most don't say anything. Leaves me wondering what they really think when they see me running.

Luckily, running on a treadmill is not a frequent occurrence for me, but who knows, I might become a regularly. If I do, I'll need more songs.


 


 

Sharing one thought at a time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts