When a runner meets a car

Have you ever smelled burnt rubber? The kind of smell that lingers in the air after a tractor and trailer locks up its rear wheels. The smell is totally identifiable and very recognizable. That's the smell that lingers in my mind right now.

Earlier this morning, I was headed out for my 12 mile fartlek run. About a mile into it I was attempting to cross an intersection. This particular intersection is one of those that have double right turns. Coming up to the intersection, I had the light to cross but the guy setting there ready to pull out. You know the kind. He has one foot on the gas and one on the brake and is looking the other way.

Rather than chance running across in front of him, I decided to circle behind. Thinking this was the safest way to cross. Before stepping in the 2nd lane, I did a quick to see if there were any cars coming. All clear, so I started to cross. I am about half way across when I hear tires squealing. I don't have any chance to look. I bound up on to the hood of the car and as it stops I then slide off on to the road landing on my hands and feet. I was more stunned than anything else. I look at the woman setting in the driver's seat. Her eyes are as big as 50 cent pieces.

I looked at my hands, arms, and legs. There was only a trickle of blood running from my finger. I guess I cut it while sliding off the hood of her car.

She opens her car door to ask if I am okay as do some of the people in the surrounding cars. The mind was clearing just enough for me to say "yeah, I am fine".

I turn to run on but looked back at her to say "yeah, my bad". As much as she was probably going to fast coming into this intersection, much of the blame lies with me for cutting behind a car and stepping into a lane where I should not have been.

Luckily, the only serious damage was a small cut on my finger. Definitely, it was not enough to prevent me from finishing my workout.

Events like I try to not dwell upon. If I did, then I would be too scared to leave my home. No matter we do, there is always risk. From now on, I wait until the driver sees me and cross in front of the cars. While this is not totally safe, definitely, it is less risky than crossing behind cars.

A couple of side notes about adrenaline. This little incident pushed my heart rate way up. It was several miles later before it started to recede. I started my first interval and it easily pushed above my 180 because my Garmin heart rate alert was ringing like crazy, but after a few minutes of running, things settled down. My heart returned to what I expected for the reminder of the workout and everything pretty continued as normal.

And for anyone wondering, no, I would not advise as a new way to pickup girls – far too dangerous. And, running in traffic is something that I do on a regular basis so I guess that makes me a professional so for those of you at home please do not try it. LOL


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Stephen Spada said…
Thanks for the advice and glad you are ok...
Glad that turned out the way it did. Unfortunately the cars seem to win these showdowns every time.
Anonymous said…
Wow, you and Caitlin both hit by cars this week! Glad you were alert enough to jump on the hood.

Popular Posts