To Boston or not

To Boston or not, now there is an interesting dilemma. There are many times that running the Boston Marathon has crossed my mind. Usually, the idea just gets dismissed without too much thought. After all, the logistics of running Boston are as complicated as it gets. Quite possibly this is the very same reason that New York, Chicago, or any really big marathon has never really been on my to-do list.

There is just something about running a small to mid size marathon that is nice. Getting to starting line is usually very easy. There is no waiting at the expo. Fields are smaller and spread out much quicker. There are probably numerous other things that attract me to doing smaller marathons which could keep me writing for hours. However, keeping my post somewhat short is my primary goal.

Then, there is the lore of running Boston. Other runners have asked me – what is the one marathon that I would most like to do if I had my choice of only one? Boston wasn't at the top of the list. Running the original marathon course in Greece was at the very top. How could any thing top running original course that is basis for marathon efforts that we do today.

But the lore of Boston is strong to lot runners. Boston is a race with a long history and great tradition. Runners put their entire lives on hold while they pour ever ounce of their being into obtaining a Boston entry. And from what I have heard Boston welcomes all runners with open arms. What better way to attract runners.

For me, Boston really has not even been on my radar until recently. First, Nathan mentioned something about going next spring a few weeks back. Then, Megan said something about running on Monday. Nathan and I ran together this morning and he again broached the subject.

Thus running Boston next spring is like a song from the radio that keeps playing in the back of my mind and for some reason it just will not go away.

Do I qualify? The answer is yes based off the '10 standards. My age group has to run 3:30. Using this spring as point of reference my time is under the age group standard by 47 minutes. Going back to '09 my qualifying time is 51 minutes under the standard for my age.

Still the question lingers, should I run it? After all, I am not getting any younger.

October 18 the registration opens for Boston.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Anonymous said…
Do Boston. If for no other reason just to read your excellent blog and get your spin on Boston.

Popular Posts