Carolina Cycling Individual TT Recap 9/1/10

Yesterday, I had a big night at the speedway with both an individual and team time trials in the same evening. This post will focus on the individual time trial with the team time trial coming out short time later.

I arrived at the speedway about a little before 6 pm to pick up my individual time trial packet and for the team time trial meeting. For some reason, I thought the meeting slated for 6pm. At least when I check-in for my packet, they said the meeting was at 6pm.

I ended up hustling back-and-forth from car to the registration area. I was trying to get myself and my bike ready and not miss the Team mandatory meeting. I grabbed a few miles on the bike, stood around for 15 minutes for the Team meeting, and then headed out for a few more miles before making my way to the starting area.

Normally, I like to get in a good warm up but last night I had to settle for about 5 miles. The engine was nowhere near being ready to ride, but sometimes you just have to go with it.

I rolled up to the starting chute. A couple of riders later they gave me my 10 second count down and I was off.

Normally, there are a lot of riders during my session, but for whatever last night the track was quite open.

A couple of guys passed me and I caught a few other rides but for the most part I was alone on track. Hard to believe, but it is true.

My first few laps my breathing was hard and labored. My legs still felt really tight. Then, slowly my breathing started to slow, and I was able to relax. The quads and hamstrings were stinging but no more than they usually do. I tried to just relax and just push the pedals with a consistently high cadence.

A quick check of my watch at 5 miles told me that I was slightly ahead of my PR. I knew if could just hold it and not fade over the last 5 miles that I could get it.

One key suggestion that they give all riders doing the time trial is don't go out too fast. Those last 5 miles can be extremely painful if riders do. I just hoped that I hadn't made this rookie mistake.

Those last 5 mile turned into a blur as I focus on rhythm of my legs just pumping on the pedals. By the time, I hit 9 miles I knew that I had a new PR in the bag. I shifted in my biggest gear and made for the finish line.

Clicking my Garmin, I had hit the line in 23:47 with is 25 seconds faster than my August time.

How did I do it? There were a few contributing factors that really helped. First, while the temperature was in the 90s, the humidity was very low which really helped. Secondly, there was barely any wind. Usually, I get a head wind at some point, but last night I never really felt it. These two factors can make huge impact on your overall time.

The other factor is tapering. One of these TTs I am going to actually taper for it. Riding with fresh and rested legs has got to be worth a few seconds at the very least.

I am not sure if I am doing the last TT. It is scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. But then it was only a couple of weeks away from Twin Cities. Rest is paramount to anything else leading up to a marathon.

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts