Carolina Cycling Team Time Trial Recap 9/1/10

I had to wait and entire year for this event to roll around again, but the wait was well worth it. Last night at 8:48 PM I got my chance to roll off on the Team Time Trial. Before going any further, I would like to take a moment to thank Scott, Ben, and Wade for taking a chance and riding with me.

We only rode together once before last night and then spent a little time riding together last night. But thanks to some good advice from other riders and my solid team mates, we had a good safe effort.

I would be our lead out rider, Ben would follow, then Wade, and Scott.

Ben asked me just before the start if I had anything left in the tank. I certainly hoped that I did. I without doubt didn't want to let them down and would pull out all of my reserves to help them.

Our strategy was to roll off the lead rider every 45 seconds. This way we always gave everyone a break and 45 seconds equates to about a quarter of the track.

I tried not to take us out too hard. They only count the top 3 riders but when you drop someone, the work effort increases from ¼ to 1/3 which is significant. Thus, it is very important to keep everyone together for a long as possible.

We were catching other teams and at one point, we were going by the start finish line and we were among 3 teams riding 3 abreast. Ben was on the front and told us later that the race marshal was telling us to spread out. I don't know. At the time, I was riding behind and couldn't see anything but my team mates in front of me.

We were told that the laps flew fly by and they do.

Effort wise, pulling is no different than when I was riding the individual time trial, but when I am riding in the pace line. Life is so much easier. I never had to touch my brakes last night, but there were portions where I could ease up on the pedaling. If I didn't, I would have run into the Scott; who I am sure didn't want to run into Wade. Wade was doing likewise to Ben.

On the last lap, I pulled us around to the back stretch where I pulled over and let Ben pull through. I was looking out of the corner of my eye as they pulled past. Ben passed me, and then Wade pulled past. I was looking for Scott. We were pushing really hard at this point. That's when I realize that Scott had dropped off and I was 3rd man. Ugh, I had to dig deep to get back on Wade's wheel. Then coming off the final turn, we were laying it all on the line as we headed for the finish.

Our time according my Garmin was 23:38. This was a great effort for 4 guys who only spent a short time riding together.

Watching the Team Trial was great, but doing the Team Trial was even better.

Now, I have to start thinking about next year. Watching the other teams, it was pretty clear; they had been riding together for while. Next year, we definitely need to schedule some practice sessions before hand.


 

I cannot wait.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts