Fartlek - 6 x 4 min with 4 x 1 min

My workout today was 6 x 4 minutes with a 2 minute recovery followed by 4 x 1 minute with a 1 minute recovery. I preceded the workout with a 4 mile warm up and followed it with a 2 mile warm down. In all honesty, I dread workouts like one for a couple of reasons. This workout drags over a large amount of area and time. I mean I covered approximately 6 miles when I include the recovery portion in the overall mileage. The second reason is that I usually do these workouts alone so every time, it is just me and my Garmin. These workouts are much like any time trial because it is really a race against myself. With no one along, it is just me to determine how difficult the workout actually is. And, I am worlds worst because I never feel that I measure to where I feel that I should be.

I did give myself one break. I have pretty much stopped running track workouts in favor of fartlek workouts. To me, track workouts are mental torture. I go around and around with no real relief in sight. Further evidence to support doing fartlek workouts, road races hardly every involve perfectly flat ground with nice round turns at the end of each straight away. For me, usually fartlek workout has become a far better tool in my arsenal to running workout.

Oh, well, I thought I would share a few of my thoughts from my workout today.


 

Good Running from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts