Will We Race Again in ’20?


While running my 20 mile long run this morning, I mulled over this particular question.

I do my best to listen closely to the various news networks. I know that each puts their own spin the news. As an adult, I have a responsibility to read between the lines because this is where the truth really lays. On top of this, our government only tells us what they think we can handle. In some ways, they treat us like children. Telling us life will return to normal or some facsimile of normal in the near future. Giving us small goals only to change the finish line as the current goal nears its end date. I understand why they do this but it is still frustrating which is a whole other possible blog post. I do not want to get in to here.

Is it really feasible to have a race this year or even until we have a vaccine?

From my perspective, even if we reach Phase 3 of the President’s Guidelines, holding a race is still risky.

These are the things that crossed my mind:

·         Races depend on volunteers. Will people still step up to do this now.
·         Will races be able to have water stops. Not just because of the availability of volunteers but just from the perspective of someone handing out water.
·         Sharing or picking up of food is going to be a no go. Someone touches something, then I touch it and put my hands to my face. We cannot do this anymore.
·         Literally, I think every runner would have to bring their own food and drink.
·         What about the race shirt, pins, and bibs. The race resources will have to wear gloves, and I still would sanitize my hands.
·         A-symptomatic person are the most dangerous. They do not know that they have this virus. Do I need to wear a mask the entire time.
·         While during the race, we do spread out but our competitiveness nature tends to pulls together.
·         Social distancing might be more difficult that anyone thinks as we all mingle before the race.  
·         Maybe we have wave starts and no awards ceremonies.
·         Will they be testing each of us race morning. Do I now have to pay an additional fee for testing.
·         We all know that we could negative yesterday and positive today. What does this mean if I would test positive on race morning. How does the race handle this? They have to refuse my entry and hopefully refund my money. They have also have to tell everyone at the event and probably consult with the county health officials. It could well stop the race cold on race morning and everyone have to go home for 14 days.   


These are just a few of things that came to mind.

Like I said, holding a race will be risky. But if there is one thing that I have learned, we are all learning about this virus every day. What we knew yesterday changes with what we have learned to day. I am sure tomorrow will bring even more knowledge. Possibly by midsummer or fall, we will know if know that we can safely return to racing. Time will tell. I hope so. I miss it already. 

Stay active and stay well,

The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts