Lonesome 50k


This weekend I was to be turning the numerous trail races as part of the White Water Center’s TuckFest. I did these races last year and loved it.

Sadly, world events took a hard left turn so there is no racing this weekend. Oh, well, no point in worrying about it. Let’s move on.

In preparation for this weekend, I had taken today off from work. Now, I have the day off but nothing to do.

With a day free of worry, I headed out for a 50k run this morning on the trails. Why not spend the day outside. Take the time to enjoy nature and running.

I selected a course which is a little over 10ish miles. This way, 3 loops would bring me back to my car at just about 31 miles.

The first lap, the temperatures were in the low 60s so it was warm and humid for me. The gentle breeze helped. A little mud kicked up on my calves but otherwise, the first loop went by uneventfully.

The second lap, I could certainly tell that the temperatures was rising. Sweat dripped from my head. After a while, I took it off my hat and attached it my vest. Oh, did this feel better. When I turned in to the wind, the breeze cooled my head. This felt awesome. From then on, I only wore my hat when I was in the sun for any considerable amount of time.

Around 17 miles, I noticed that my legs were aching. Mainly, this happened when I turned in to a hill. I guess pushing my body uphill created more strain on my legs than I was realizing.

I finished the 2nd lap, and refueled at my car.

Heading out for the 3rd lap, my legs were hurting more than I expected or really wanted. I seem to go through periods where they really hurt and then after a certain of time, the ache seems to drift away. I don’t know whether this is physiological or psychological. Maybe it is a little bit of both. Maybe I just get used to it.

I also noticed that it was getting even warmer. I was definitely drinking more fluids.

At 27 miles, I made the final turn and headed back to my car. Something about this, the mind moves passed the effort and focuses on what is left to get me to finish.

I kept glancing at my Garmin. I had this internal goal of running under six hours. Some quick calculations told me that it was going to be close.

I had to pick it up over the last mile, but I did achieve my goal in 5 hours 59 minutes and 29 seconds.

In the last six weeks, I have run: 42 miles, 50 miles, and now a 50k. Not too bad if I do say so myself. 

With these runs, I am doing my best to keep things interesting. Giving myself goals is something that I need. With no races, I need to find a purpose elsewhere. These long training have been serving as this purpose.

Hopefully, all of you are finding your own ways give your running purpose.

The Cool Down Runner  

  






Comments

Popular Posts