Breaking down my Enchiladas last weekend


This is pretty unimportant considering what’s going on in the world, but for me, writing serves as a diversion. Right now, we all need a little diversion in my life.

When I first started thinking about this run, I played out the different ways that I could run the trails. My goal was to run as much of every trail as possible. I wanted to maximize my on trail time.

To do this, I decided to break the trail in to 3 sections. Section one, I would do the trails to the west and the south of the WWC. Section two, I would do the East Side trails, and Section three, I would those to the north of the WWC.

I placed my car in the parking where I could easily access it between each of these sections.

I started out along North Main trail, picked up Jack Rabbit, Figure 8, Tortuga, Academy, Thread, Needle, back to Thread, back to Figure 8, and then finally back on to North Main. I wanted to do this section first when it was cool. I knew that the day was going to be hot. Air does not stir very well in this section so it can be very hot. Getting it done during the cooler morning hours made a lot sense.

From North Main, I picked up South Main, Carpet, Tower, Wedge, Goat, Weigh Station, Toilet Bowl, Slalom, and Lake Loop. By the time that I popped out of the woods, I was at nearly 22 miles. Roughly, I figured that I was half way.

I refueled at my car, and I headed off on section 2. During this section, I would be running along the East Main and Tributary trails. This covers another 9ish miles.

By the time, I returned to my car, I was at 30 miles. I was feeling a little tired but I felt it was more do the temperature being in the upper 80s. This was warmest day so far in 2020.

However, I was eager to get started on the final section of my run. During this section I ran Parkway, Prairie Dog, Bandit, Panda, Smokey, and Rail. I put this section last because I knew my legs would be tired. These trails are some of the lesser technical trails at the WWC. However, I thought this was about 9 miles. It turns out that it was closer 12 miles.

I finished my run where the trail runs out near guard shake.

Now, I have pretty fair idea how many miles that the WWC has. 

Stay strong and stay well,

The Cool Down Runner  




Comments

Popular Posts