Fine!

If you are looking for another running related topic today, I am sorry. I have strayed yet again.

Today, I would like to talk about the use of the word “fine”.

The word “fine” has several variations depending on how it is used as described by Google…..

See these examples below…..

fine

adjective

1. of high quality. "this was a fine piece of filmmaking"

synonyms:          excellent, first-class, first-rate, great, exceptional, outstanding, quality, superior, splendid, magnificent, exquisite, choice, select, prime, supreme, superb, wonderful, superlative, of high quality, second to none; More

2. (of a thread, filament, or person's hair) thin. "I have always had fine and dry hair"

synonyms:          thin, light, delicate, wispy, flyaway

 

noun

1. very small particles found in mining, milling, etc.

adverb informal

1. in a satisfactory or pleasing manner; very well. "“And how's the job-hunting going?” “Oh, fine.”"

verb

1. clarify (beer or wine) by causing the precipitation of sediment during production.

2. make or become thinner. "it can be fined right down to the finished shape"

 

Yes, these describe all the ways that the English language has for the use of the word “fine”, but I really want to talk about another variation not described above.

This is the variation where the word “fine” ends not with a “.” but ends with an “!” point.

Let me set the scene for you. Hopefully, it will help you understand what I am talking about.

Let’s say that you are having a conversation with someone. In this conversation, you are having a disagreement. This disagreement goes on for several minutes or until one or the other of you finishes with the word “fine”. And, clearly the use of the word “fine” is not meant to be with a “.” at the end, but you know in the back of your mind that it is the “fine” with at least one “!” and possibly more if this happens to be your wife or your girl friend. Based on the expression on her face, you can probably figure that there is some type of “!” multiple on a sliding scale involved. The harsher her expression, the greater is the multiplier.  

This is also about the point in the conversation where it abruptly ends but is by no means finished or is the disagreement settled.

As I try to figure what the real meaning for this usage of “fine”, I have come to only one conclusion. It means that I agree to disagree. I am neither surrendering nor admitting that I am wrong. And, I am certainly not admitting that you are right.  

Like most people I have had my fair share of these arguments over the course of my life, but I have always avoided the use of the word “fine” because I don’t like the taste that it leaves. Although, I have had it used against me more than once. And honestly, it doesn’t taste much better even if I didn’t say it.

During your next conversation when it feels like a “fine” moment, rethink your possible answers. Do something different and unexpected, you might find the results a lot more palatable.

 

The simple thoughts are the best

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts