Chewed up and spit out.

You never really know how good of shape you are in until you run with someone faster. Then, the realization sets in pretty quickly.

This morning we ran what is becoming our normal Friday PDS hot yoga loop route backwards. The pace fluctuated between 7 and 7:20 per mile depending on whether we were going uphill or downhill for most of the loop. The pace didn’t feel hard. Mostly, there was just some warning flares being thrown up by the left hamstring. Then, coming up Sardis Rd Paul picks up pace. Suddenly, my breathing goes from comfortable to uncomfortable. My legs go from hurting to complaining.  I so wanted to stick with him as he picked up the pace but I just didn’t have the conditioning necessary to do it.

Now, some people might be upset that Paul was pushing it up the hill. Yes, we all hurt a little more when this happen. However, me, I wanted it. I needed it. The only way to get better is to challenge myself and to push harder. Running with other faster runners is a great way of doing just that.  I will take getting chewed up and spit out any day because I know when it comes to race day; I will be stronger for it.

Simple thoughts are the best,

The Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts