Marathon Mileage Build up

This fall I thought I would try something different. My normal marathon build up goes through cycles and increases both mileage and intensity leading up to the taper for the marathon.

This year I am approaching the build up a little differently.

This year, I pushed my mileage up to high 80s or low 90s and just kept the mileage at this level. There were no hard runs during the early part of the summer; I just had to endure the struggle of fatigue until my body made the adjustment. This on top of the searing heat that withered the Charlotte area

After about 3 to 4 weeks, I began to feel better and started to slowly feel stronger. Instead of dragging to the finish of my 20 milers, I was feeling like there was more left in the tank.

I let another couple of weeks pass and then I started adding in one up tempo workout. This was in addition to a mid week semi long run and a long run on either Saturday or Sunday.

So far, the training has been going well and I am feeling better about it.

Now, I just need to keep mojo going for another 8 weeks leading into OBX.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts