10 x 90 seconds – hill repeats

Over the weekend, Megan and I were talking about workouts for the coming week and settled on hill repeats extra early Tuesday morning. Then, she posted the workout options – 10 x 1 minute or 8 x 90 seconds. Little did she know that I went with a morphed variation of the two workout options – 10 x 90 seconds. Workouts should always be tougher and longer than expected

Fast forward to today, 4:01 AM came early this morning. By 4:35 I was driving across Charlotte to meet everyone at McAlpine. 5:30 AM came and we were off and running. Oh, by the way, Spada was a late entry but valued joiner for the workout. So Megan, Steve, Mike, and I did a little 4 mile warm up and then headed over to our hill just off the greenway in a nice quiet neighborhood.

The first repeat was ugly for me. My legs just didn't have any turnover in them. Steve and Mike were all over it going up the hill. Next came the repeats: 2, 3, 4, 5 and my legs were really feeling the ugliness of hill repeats.

Repeats 6, 7, 8, and 9 were more of the same. Steve was taking it out hard and Mike chasing him down by the top. With Repeat 10 Mike took it out harder with Steve chasing hard. Personally, my legs were not happy at all. I just felt really sluggish and tired. Go figure, should I expect anything else otherwise. After all, I am running as hard as possible up hill. How else should I expect my legs to feel? Definitely, they were not feeling fresh and frisky.

Early morning runs are always tough on me mentally but once daybreak arrives, my brain just seems to switch on.

Lastly, I have to give a big shout out the Steve, Mike, and Megan. I would never have ran that hard during a solo effort so thanks for the assist guys.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts