University Duathlon – just a little recon

With Boston in the rear view mirror, I am moving toward some more summer time activities. Meaning, I will be spending more time on my bike and running – well just not so much.

First off, I am heading out to the University area on Saturday morning for a 5k, 20k, 3k Duathlon. This will be my first Duathlon of the year and an opportunity shake off some rust.

Yesterday, I was on the web site tracking down the bike course map. Then after work, I headed out to the University Y for a little recon on the course.

The organizers have laid out roughly a 5+ mile loop that goes through the business park, up Harris Blvd, runs along Mallard Creek between Harris Blvd. and Prosperity Church Rd.

The Y isn't the starting point for the race but it does make for a great base of operations.

I rode a couple of loops around the course just to get the general feel of the course. Traffic is definitely a pain on Mallard Creek. The business park was nice and decent for riding. However, the pavement has aged so a rider can expect to have a lot vibrations coming up through the bike.

I don't think the bike loop is very speedy. There are couple kick your "but" hills. One hill is just before you leave the business park and the second hill is coming up to the first red light on Mallard Creek. I certainly hope the organizers have the lanes coned off Saturday morning along the Harris Blvd section. There is a right turning lane between the exit from the park and where you turn for the Mallard Creed Road. From what I saw yesterday evening, people are treating this turning lane more like an express lane. And the last thing any rider wants is to pop out in front of a car traveling at 50 mph. The consequences would be ugly.

Most of the other turns are not quite as bad because the traffic has an opportunity to see a rider coming. Turning back into the business park is a little tight but at least you are not heading into a traffic lane. You can probably expect to have the entire turning radius.

There is one speed bump on the course. While it slows the cars going through the park, it doesn't present any real issues while riding over it.

Heading to and from the transition area, I found heading out that there is a fast downhill roll out which is followed by a hard right hand turn. Coming back is a different matter all together. Again, you have a right hand turn, but it is followed by a steep uphill. I'll definitely want to gear back before even entering the turn.

Later this week, I will be out looking at the run course so stay tuned for my thoughts about it.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts