8 x 1 min w/ 30 second

Yesterday, I headed out for my regular Monday speed workout – a little later than usual. With Boston having a late morning start, I wanted to wait until lunch time so I could get in a little heat acclamation. The temperate was barely pushing 80 but I felt like an ice cube in an oven with the temperature set on broil. Sweat was running down both sides of my face and my clothes were soaked by the end of the run.

I guess to some extent there is some irony here. Each time that I enter my work room, I check my email. It is sort of like breathing, I don't think about it; I just do it.

Well, the sweat was still dripping off my forehead when computer screen displayed my latest email. At the top of my inbox was an email from the BAA group. On the subject line, they were giving me tips on racing in cold weather. How ironic? Here I am sweating and the BAA guys want me to worry about racing in cold weather. I say "bring on the cold weather".

Enough about the weather, my workout was okay. Running can be just a fickle thing. I feel good one day and bad the next day. But one of the things I try to pay attention to is how I feel during the run. How are the arms feeling? Are my legs dragging going uphill or do I have some spring in my step.

One of the things that I noticed, is taking days off from the bike can breathe life back into my legs. Yesterday, I was not "exactly" sprinting up the hills but even with the heat my legs were still decent.

I clicked off of all 8 x 1 minute surges with 30 seconds between mile 4 and 7. Then, I cool down on the run back to my house.

This leaves me with one more stressor workout before Boston. This will be 6 x 2 minutes with 1 minute recovery over 10 miles on Thursday.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts