The Boston Marathon Experience


For years, I have often been asked if I had run The Boston Marathon and up until yesterday I have always said "no". This typically was followed with whomever sharing their experience of why Boston is so great.

I mean I knew about Boston and knew that it was a big race. It was big enough to be considered a marathon major.

But until this weekend, I really didn't have a full appreciation for it. I am talking about the kind of appreciation that can only come by experiencing it firsthand.

From the time, I stepped off to the plane until I boarded the plane this morning, I saw what the Boston Marathon means to the runners but more so to the people of Boston and the surrounding communities.

The Boston Marathon is a race deep in history and tradition and the people of Boston totally embrace and display the feeling that comes such a rich legacy.

In the days leading up to Boston the entire city was a "buzz" with excitement. Boston running jackets from previous years can be seen everywhere and the marathon is the only topic of conversation that anyone seems to be discussing.

Every vender in the running world seemed to have a booth at the huge Expo and people are literally saying "Excuse me" just to pass the person next to them.

There are signs everywhere greeting the runners. I even saw public street signs saying "no stopping with a picture of a runner". I have never seen such signs in another city.

From the moment I stepped out of the car on Monday morning in Hopkinton, I felt like I was walking on special ground. Legends of races past and the runners that created those legends ran on these same roads. I ran through the same towns and most likely heard the voices of the people that had been cheering at these Boston marathons for years and maybe even their entire life time.

The masses of runners spilling into the Athletes Village covered every piece of available real estate and filled the air with a sense of excitement.

Watching the elite runners come out one would have thought that they were rock stars.

From the gun runners were rocketing down the hill.

The screams of the girls at Wellesley were ever-bit as good as the stories and as loud to the point of being deafening.

The Newton hills lived up to their reputation. I saw more than one runner reduced to walking up heart break hill.

The Citgo sign was huge in distance and welcome sign to tired legs.

The people by Boston College and Boston University were simply unreal. Their cheers and screams implored runners to pull out the last bit of energy in their bodies as those closed in on the finish line.

The left turn on Boylston Street told us that we were almost done and the people crowded both sides of the street several rows deep to yell their loudest so that even with tired and aching bodies there would be no way that anyone of us runners' would have an excuse slow down or quit.

Crossing under the Boston finish line banner was a special moment that I will never forget. I was no longer just a Boston Qualifier but now I was a veteran of "The Boston Marathon".

People were congratulating the runners as they moved through the finish area for water, food, space blankets, our checked baggage, and of course the Boston Marathon Medal. But the "thanks" didn't stop there. Mike, Nathan, and I were walking back to our place and all along the way – total strangers would congratulate us.

This just adds to the proof that Boston is a fantastic race to do and the citizens of Boston and the communities all along course are what has made Boston special and will continue to make Boston special for years to come.

If you have not run a Boston Marathon, I highly recommend you add it as a goal. And when you achieve your goal, you too will be a "Boston Marathon" veteran.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts