Post Race Lessons Learned

Just about every business that does project work will from time to time do a lessons learned analysis. Basically, a lessons learned is a look back at the just completed project. From this review a list of positive and negative points are gathered. Essentially, this process provides managers and workers with a list of talking points that they thought they did well and a list of points where they could improve upon.

While this concept is mostly found in the business world, the implications to the world of running can be just as significant.

From my just completed Boston Marathon, I have already generated a list of points both from the training period and from the race that I will use to build out my next training cycle. I highly recommend that people write it down rather than just think about it. Writing it down on paper or in a word document makes the positive and negative points concrete. Also ability to return to and review this information provides a positive influence on it. Too many times, we dwell in the world of negative thoughts.

These lessons let us know that we do indeed do some things well. This can be important step to help us as runner move past difficult training periods and toward reaching our goals.

Ben and I were discussing this very concept on Monday night. I had brought up the subject that while it was fresh in our minds, we should write down our lessons learned from the just completed race. As our conversation continued, Ben shared that he has his athletes write down the times when they had a good workout or a good race and then read over these accomplishments. Nothing but positive reinforcement can come from following this type of approach.

I suggest after your next training cycle take the time to do a lessons learn or like Ben does with the athletes write down the positives from your training and racing. Running definitely helps running but doing the right type running by being mentally prepared will always make you faster.


 

-btw I didn't share my lessons learned here. Nathan finished right in front of me and Mike right behind me at Boston. If I keep giving away all my secrets, I will never be able to keep up to them. LOL


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts