Keeping the engine warm

Every marathon taper is different yet the same. For the most part, I try to taper in such a way that I keep my body ready to run hard while also giving it the much need time to recover for race day. This morning, I was out trying to keep the engine tuned up for racing and trying to not break the bank.

The workout this morning was a 5 mile tempo run. I was not feeling particular great. I imagine it had something to do with my leading one of the TrySports Group rides last night. Ironically, I felt really good last night during the ride, but it wasn't carrying over to today.

After a 3+ mile warm up, we started our tempo run.

For the first mile my legs felt stiff and tight: 6:04. The 2nd mile up and down the hill at McAlpine was 6:18. I always take my time coming off the hill. There is no sense tearing something for a training workout. The 3rd mile, I felt more like I was struggling and just couldn't find a good running groove: 6:02.

Miles 4 and 5 were on the way back to the Old Bell entrance. Mile 4 was 5:58 and mile 5 was 5:57. During these miles I was not breathing particular hard but neither was I feeling comfortable.

There is still 10 days to Boston and while my run this morning was somewhat in line with what I expected; I still have time to find the comfort zone that I will need.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts