Boston Tan lines

Most of you probably have probably heard of a farmers' tan or truckers' tan. Maybe you have even seen a cyclist with tan lines. You know what I am describing. The line where the sun tan ends and the white skin starts.

But did you know there is such a thing as the Boston tan lines. Mike had warned me of this after his first Boston marathon.

Basically, a Boston Tan line is where the right side of your body gets a good extra dose of ultraviolet light from the extended exposure to the sun on marathon day.

There are two reasons for this to occur. First, it is early in the year and most people have not spent much time in the sun. The second reason is the Boston course follows an easterly direction so only the right side of your body really gets exposed.

Right now, I am sporting a nice red tan line down the right of my head and across my shoulder. Does it hurt? Well, it does a little. At least I was only out there 2:42:39 seconds.


 

Thoughts from the ½ tanned Cool Down Runner


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts