TrySports – First Group Ride of the Year

Some weeks ago, Rob and I had talked about me leading a TrySports Group ride. Well, I had not thought much more about it and then, I walked in the door of TrySports Store last night. He asked if I was up for leading the "C" group.

"Sure!".

So while, I have pretty good marathon legs, I don't have much of my cycling legs yet, but I thought I could still easily manage a 16-18 mph effort.

Mainly, the "C" has a lot of people just starting out and a few trying to work their way into the "B" group.

Rob M. gave me a "que" sheet containing the "C" group route. Now, I have been on most of the roads before, but I was always following so I wasn't paying particular attention to the street names. Last night, I realized how important those street signs really were.

This was my first attempt at leading a group so last night's effort could be considered as my on the job training. For instance, people like to stay within a certain pace and they really appreciate the regrouping after long stretches.

When I ride with most groups, I don't pay any attention to pace. I am looking at my heart rate and trying to stay in the draft as much as possible. So at the first stop we made, I was scrambling down through my Bike settings. I changed my Garmin to display the current speed and from then I tried to keep a nice steady 16-17 mph.

Several of the guys that knew the course road ahead, but in all honesty, they should have ridden in the "B" anyway. They were already in way better shape.

For the rest, I lead them through the course and back to TrySports safely. This was my goal – have a nice, safe, fun ride.

Was I fantastic group leader? Ah, I give myself a C+. But I enjoyed the opportunity to give back and help others getting into the cycling. And, if the opportunity comes my way, I would happy help the TrySports guys out again.

I embedded and attached a link to some video that I shot via my video sunglass. –btw – mental note to myself, I need to keep my head up while I am riding in the future.

TrySports Group Ride - Click Here

Comments

Popular Posts