Rainy Fartlek workout

Yesterday morning I attempted my 2nd fartlek workout in 7 days. Last week, the temperature was so hot that I felt like I was melting and that was while running on the trail. This week it was a total shift. Instead of being unbearably hot, it was extremely humid and at several times a steady rain.

Starting the run with a 2 mile warm up, I next headed on to the trail. Then, it was push hard on the flats and uphills while cruising on the downhills and rocky sections. I use a 2 lap system on the North Meck trails. A single loop is somewhere between 3.5 and 4 miles.

My first loop was 29 minutes even. I then took a 2 minute recovery before heading back on to the trail in the reverse direction. This time I covered the same distance in 29:05. My first loop was slower than last week by 50 seconds but the 2nd loop was over 2 minutes faster than the 2nd loop from last week.

Both times were a far cry from my best times which are in the 24 minute range, but the season is early and I am just getting rolling. My injuries will soon pass and the strength and speed will come.

I finished off the workout with 3 easy recovery miles on the little ½ mile loop in the back of the park.


 

All in all, it was solid effort and no advil today.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner.


 

Comments

mainers said…
glad you're healing up Bill! Hopefully see you on Tuesday at Miners?

Popular Posts