One Big Crash

Setting here now, I am just trying to figure out what doesn't hurt: legs, arms, head, or ribs. Of everything, the ribs are probably hurt the worst. Moving any direction utilizes the ribs and with a deep bruise every movement sends a big pain signal to my brain. I guess I should count myself lucky. Other than my ribs the rest of my injuries are on the minor side. I tore some skin off my elbow and arm. I lost some skin my right shoulder in 3 places. I have a change abrasion across my right thigh. There a couple of scraps on my knees. Oh, my face got some too. When I got home last night I looked in my mirror, there was huge grease chain mark running from the corner of my mouth up and over my ear. Luckily, there were only a few actual scraps on my face.

A little soap and antibacterial gel helped clean me up quite nicely.

Truth, I don't remember the pile up.

We had just finished riding up this hill pretty hard which spreads everyone out. There's a flat section just after the hill where we normally regroups. There were about 8 of us soft pedaling waiting on the rest to catch up.

I was about 4th or 5th in line at the time.

I remember hearing tires screech and looking up to see this white car crossing the center line coming toward us. The guys in front of me started coming together and there was no place for me to go. I grabbed for the brakes and closed my eyes. The car never hit us. My guess they were just driving too fast at the time.

I remember rolling and being pushed around as other guys piled into the crash.

Then, I opened my eyes to see the sun and one of the guys was asking if I was alright. To which I responded, give me a second. I got the wind knocked out of me. I laid there for a few minutes before getting up to walk around. Oh, the ribs were already hurting, but I could take a deep breath so nothing appeared to be broken.

After few more minutes of getting my wits about me, I looked around for my bike. Someone had moved it to the side of the road. The brakehoods had been pushed inward and bar tape was torn but the rest of the bike looked intact. In true, Billy Shue fashion, I climbed back on the bike. I still had to ride home.

Bikewise, I guess that I was lucky. Two guys had to have someone come pick them up. Their bikes were totaled.

No one got the plate number on the car, but that was the least of my worries. I was just glad to be able to ride home.

Group rides are a lot of fun, but the crashes are the worst. I will not be deterred, however. I hope to be out on my bike later today.

-btw I was glad that I was wearing a helmet and gloves. Everyone should do the same.


 


 

Crash recap from the Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Scary stuff. Glad that you're mostly OK. Always hate that moment after something like this when someone asks if you're OK, and you slowly start taking stock of your various parts to figure out the answer. Hope you're healed quickly and back after it soon.
Tom C said…
Glad you're okay Bill and that it wasn't the new bike!
Nope. Thankfully, I was following some good advice and was riding my old road bike.

And with this happening, the new bike only make appearances for private shake down rides and races. No group riding. Definitely I want to keep it in one piece.

Popular Posts