TrySports Group Ride 6.16.2010

We rolled off at 6:15 pm yesterday for the TrySports Group ride. The heat was up but with the humidity being much lower, it made conditions for riding the bike almost perfect.

For the TrySports rides, everyone rides together for the first few miles. There are always a few new people out and of those few some are experiencing the world of clipless pedals for the first time. Usually this means a few falls along way. For last night, it meant to rides fell. After riding for the last year, it has become almost 2nd nature to unclip when I roll up to a stop light or stop sign. And, it is easy to forget that there is a learning process albeit a painful one.

Rob M. led out our "B" group last night.

Just before climbing the long hill near Waxhaw, we decided to split into two groups at the top. One group would ride down and around through Waxhaw while the other group would ride back down the hill.

This was where things started to get jumbled.

I was riding behind Rob and this other guy when we hit the hill. The guy took off attacking the hill pretty hard. I was content to ride behind Rob but he was motioning us to go around. So with nothing but this guy in front of me, I took off trying to catch him.

We were a contrast in styles. He was riding along pushing hard on the pedals in a small gear while I was riding along spinning at a high cadence in an easy gear. For much of the hill, I was chasing pretty hard before catching him. We then rode together swapping the lead until we reached the top. To me, this is one of the most interesting aspects of cycling that differs from running. When the hill starts to feel hard, I sometimes wish I had an easier gear to run.

Once we topped the hill, some of guys headed on the back loop into Waxhaw. I asked Rob if we should hold up but he said that he catch up with the others. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea because we were spread out for a while. But in trying to pull everyone together, we were probably riding much harder than Rob would have liked for us. In fact, we covered enough ground that we caught the other group that did the return trip back down the hill which was the short route.

We stayed with them until the stop light. From there, it was a matter of holding on tight. Several of us made the right turn at Marvin HS. This new guy took the lead. Using the time trial position, he was starting to pull away so I was climbing through the gears trying to match his efforts. Let me tell that it is not easy to do.

After about 3 miles, I was not losing ground but I was not gaining ground either so I thought it best to let someone else pull through. I moved over and looked to see who was coming through. Ugh, there wasn't anyone there. I looked back and didn't see anyone. Oh, well, there was nothing to do now but put my head down and keep going.

Luckily, the guy in front got caught at a red light a few miles later.

Once back on his wheel, I stayed there. And, staying on his wheel was a lot easier than catching up to his wheel.

We made the left on Rea Rd and headed back to the store. He was keeping the pace nice and high. And for my part, I stayed about 4 inches off of his rear wheel. I remember passing a few other riders somewhere on Rea Rd but the rest of the ride was a blur until we slowed for the left at TrySports.

Based on my Garmin, we rode about 20.5 mph for 33 miles. Again, this is a rough estimate considering that I don't stop my Garmin when rolling through most intersections.

If you had asked me in May to ride 30+ miles at 20+ mph, I would have said no way. Now, I am considering jumping into the "A" group in a couple of weeks. You only get better if you are willing to challenge yourself and accept that the process will be difficult and bumpy along the way.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Tom Crespo said…
Bill - where is the new bike!?
Locked in TrySports. They didn't get it put together until Friday evening.

So we are trying to workout a day for me to get fitted for it.

Crossing my fingers that it is this week.
Tom Crespo said…
What did you end up getting?
A Kuota Kalibur.

I am hoping that the bike makes the cyclist. I need all the help that I can get.
Tom Crespo said…
I thought you might buy one after you went to the demo at Try Sports... :-)

Popular Posts