Long warm up

You would think on a day when the temperature was pushing into the mid 90s that I wouldn't be talking about the need to warm up but I am. Over the last few years, I have noticed more and more that it takes me longer before I feel good and warmed up. During a run, it can take 5 or 6 miles.

I marvel at Steve Spada sometimes. He jumps out of his car and does a few quick strides across the parking lot. Then, he is ready to go for a hard tempo run. Darn, if I did it that way, there wouldn't be enough oxygen in the world to satisfy my intake requirements.

But to my case in point, I was riding with the Inside Out guys last night. Typically, their rides are some of fastest around Charlotte.

For the first 20 miles, I was struggling just hang-on. Then, just around an hour, I started feel better and stronger. And, no before you ask, they didn't slow down for me (Laughing out loud) Now, granted we are talking about the temps already in the mid 90s so being warm wasn't an issue. But after 20 miles, instead of riding off the back, I was riding closer to the front and pushing harder up the hills. And for whatever the reason, the pedaling just felt easier.

This brings me to my question. What I don't truly understand is why it takes me so long to feel "warmed-up"? Most running jargon that I read says within 10 to 15 minutes, my body should be ready to go. But after 10 to 15 minutes, I am still wiping the sleep from my eyes.

For all that I know it could all just be a mental block that I need to overcome.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Stephen Spada said…
Nice new layout. While I would prefer a longer warm up, sometimes I have to get in-n-out!

Popular Posts