Crashes abound on the TrySports Group Ride last night

Typically, our group rides are quiet and uneventful, but last night we made up for it.

First, one of the ladies in the "B" had her chain come off while climbing Rehobeth Rd hill. This in its self happens but was made worse when it broke off the rear derailleur. This brought her bike to a halt and down she went. Definitely caused some ugliness around her knee but otherwise she seemed okay.

The 2nd incident just sounds bad. One of the guys in the "A" went down and his bike slide into oncoming traffic where it was run over by car. Reports were that he was okay but the same could not be said for his bike.

Mind you, the above info is all 2nd hand because the guys that I was with stayed up right and out trouble last night.

Couple interesting things to report from the ride, I got point heading up Rehobeth Hill so I was riding hard to pull the rest of the guys along. About ½ up I moved over to let someone else pull through – thinking it was my turn to rest, but they didn't; they moved over behind me. The first thought through my mind was "What? No fair". Luckily a couple of guys did come up and help with the pace. Darn, that hill is about 2 miles long and take pretty everything that I have to ride it.

Then, on the way back, since I did most of the work going up Rehobeth Rd hill, I wanted to be the first one down it. So for the 2 miles leading up to the hill I took the pull. When we hit the downhill, I shifted down to the smallest sprocket to go as fast as possible. About the 3 quarters of the way down the hill I come around this curve and mind you we are rolling along pretty good. What do I see but a State Trooper backing into a side road a couple of hundred meters in front of us. At this point, I have no idea how fast we are going or what the speed limit is during this section of road. I suspected it was like 35 mph and we were probably exceeding it. I seem to remember someone saying we hit 45 mph but maybe it was 35. Suffice to say we escaped without a ticket.

As usual we finished off the ride with a hard effort on Rea Road. My mileage and speed totals were 34 miles at 20 mph. Not bad considering the heat was pushing 100 degrees yesterday.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts