Running or Biking

Over the last six weeks, I have spent considerable more time riding my bike than I have running. Mainly as you know, it is due to my having ITB.

I really started riding my bike again last summer. It was about the time that I started ramping up my marathon training and I didn't want to put in any more running miles than necessary. Riding my bike gave me another option so I could get in a good cardio workout with the beating that running places on my body.

I continued riding pretty right up to the week of the marathon. But afterwards, I just stopped and didn't get back on the bike again until I got ITB. Funny, I wasn't even planning to use the bike during my training for a spring marathon.

Part of the reason for not riding, I have this aversion to cold weather and riding the bike is like riding down the street with the windows rolled down in your car. It is just not as much fun as you might think even at 50 degrees.

But with ITB limiting my ability to run, I dusted off my bike after two months and started riding again. I rode through some very cold days and even through some days with snow. Guessing what is the right type of clothing to wear is probably 90% of the battle with riding bike. Mainly, I have found keeping the chest and neck covered is vital to staying warm. It does help to wear heavy socks and booties if you have them. Also wearing heavy gloves is a plus. Once the fingers get cold, being miserable is the only thing left.

Now, I cannot be all negative. Riding gives one a certain amount of freedom to go where ever the road takes one. Not to mention, while riding, I can see twice as much of the country side vs. the short excursion running. Furthermore, riding doesn't leave me beat up like a run does. After a 20 mile run, I sometimes can feel like a truck hit me. After 25 to 30 miles on the bike, I am still feeling pretty good.

All in all, I am starting to find my bike rides a lot more enjoyable. Maybe I will just switch to riding instead of running.

Comments

Richard Hefner said…
Hey Bill... Thanks for dropping by my blog, and good luck with the ITB. I've seen your amazing running stats on Athlinks... glad we're in different age groups! Hope to see you at some of the Charlotte area races.

Popular Posts