Chris vs. Cody

Chris vs. Cody

Chris Lamperski and Cody Angel are two of my friends, follow runners, and TrySports Team mates.

Being that they are roughly the same age, they have a nature rivalry. Both have raced each other in college and have been racing each other on the local Charlotte Running Scene for the last few years.

In two weeks, they will be racing each other again in the Sarasota Fl. This time, they will be tackling the ½ marathon distance. This will be their first head to head competition since the Turkey Trot 8k in Charlotte.

On that day, Cody bested Chris but he did it with the smallest of margins.

I suspect this has provided Chris some much needed motivation.

This past weekend Chris and Cody raced in Charleston SC. Chris won the 5k in 15: 53 while Cody took 3rd place in 50:28. This was a road PR for both of them.

So I know they are both in great running shape.

Handicapping is something everyone does as they gauge their competition. This means, I have break down how I believe Chris and Cody will run.

Chris has great legs speed. I suspect maybe a little better than Cody. Cody on the other hand has probably a better base. Although, Chris has been putting in the long runs to build his endurance.

When it comes to diet and recovery, I have to give the nod to Cody. I know that he sleeps in a high altitude tent and watches every spec of food that he consumes.

I suspect the race will go down as follows.

Unless there is some fast ringing in the race, Chris will take the lead out with Cody in close pursuit. They will run pretty much side by side through 10 to 12 miles.

If I were Chris, I would wait as long as possible before dropping the pace and sprinting to the finish.

If I were Cody, some where about 10 to 11 miles I would start throwing in surges. I would want to take the sprint out of Chris’s legs. Even better, I would want to gap him before nearing the finish.

Basically, I think this is a toss-up race. Either of them can win it and it will all depend on who is having the better day.

Comments

Popular Posts