OBX marathon - thinking ahead


Yes, I know it is just February and OBX is 275 days away. But this doesn't stop me from thinking about it.

I am also hearing talk of who will be running at OBX this year from our TrySports team.

I will start with the usual list of suspects: my self and Megan. We both had decent runs last year. For me, I think I can run it faster if the weather is good. I just need to get over this ITB and the spend the summer working on my base. I suspect the same can be said for Megan. She won the open women's side with a 2:49. She can definitely go faster.

Megan's future husband Mr Megan Hovis otherwise known as Ben has talked about running OBX. Ben has done a few marathons. His best is about 2:33 (if I remember correctly) which should make for a good show between he and Bob M.

Ben is smart and knows how to train for the marathon. The key will be in his training if he can stay healthy. He spent most of '08 getting over an injury. But when he is healthy, he is fast.

Then, there is Mike Beigay. I talked to him at the TrySports Social last week. He is throwing his name in the OBX marathon pot as well. Mike delivered some amazing times last fall. He had great 15k and then followed it up with a personal best in the OBX 1/2 of 1:16 a few weeks later.

If he can get into this kind of shape this year, he could run 2:40. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that he does. It would mean (continuing with crossing my fingers), we would be running with roughly the same goal time in mind.

Definitely two people working toward the same goal provides for better odds on achieving that goal than one person alone.

Hopefully, we get a few more commitments by mid summer to run OBX from our team. Then, we maybe could have a true TrySports house for OBX.

Comments

Popular Posts