Riding into the night.


Yesterday was such a warm day that I let my judgment get the better of me.

I love riding my bike when the spring like temperates arrive. Some days, I feel like I could ride forever.

Leaving the Lake Norman Y about 5pm, I was expecting to ride some where around 15 to 20 miles.

I don’t ride that often in Davidson so I didn’t know how the traffic might be. But the traffic was light on the roads by Fisher Farms. Light traffic means I am going to as far as I can.

Finally, at round 12 miles out, I turned back. Looking toward the sunset, I wasn’t sure if could make it back to the Y before dark. My bike doesn’t have lights so riding at night is a bad idea.

To make matters worse, I was wearing my sun glasses. It is the kind of pair that you just don’t want to stick in back of your shirt.

As darkness was fast approaching, I was tired but I attacked on every up hill and rode hard on the down hills. I wanted to make it through the greenways before darkness hit. They don’t have street lights on the greenway in Davidson. But luckily, the evening sunset lasted long enough.

By the time I reached Antiquity, darkness had settled in and the only light came from the near by houses. I was looking over the top of my sunglasses and riding by feel.

You would be surprised how hard potholes are to spot at night.

Mostly, I was trying to be safe. But I did make it back to the Y - 24 miles in just less than 2 hours of riding.

Maybe, I will invest a head lamp and tail light for my bike.

Comments

Popular Posts