Run-cation – Day 5 – Kings Mt State Park


Last night, I decided to head down to Kings Mt State Park to recreate part of a run that I did a few years ago. This time, I would only be going 20 miles instead of those 45 Labor Day miles. That was indeed a very long day.

Kings Mt State Park is roughly 30 minutes west give or take from Charlotte. They offer a lot trail options some good and some not as good. The trails inside the military portion of the park typically are well maintained. Those outside of it, well, a good weed eater may be needed or perhaps a chainsaw in some spots. Those trails can be overgrown in places. If it were not for the trail markers, I am not sure that I was on the trail.

May be from anticipation or just from tiredness, I was up early this morning. I cruised in to their parking lot around 8:35 this morning. This was a good thing since the weatherman had forecast a temperature close to 90 degrees today.

Today’s run was 9 parts trail run and 1 part obstacle course. Those storms that rolled through Charlotte late this past week did a number on the trees in several places along the trail. I quickly realized that I was not the first through here, however. The path through the fallen trees were somewhat visible. I made every effort to follow the broken limbs.

Along the small creak, the cool air felt awesome during the first hour. Then, the trail meanders away from the branch. Sweat rolled down sides of my face and in to the ever growing beard. I finally gave up on my hat. The heat was just too much to wear it.

My course today took me out by the Kings Mt visitor center and later up the Ridgeline trail to the Boulder Overlook. This was actually the first time that I went up to the overlook. However, I didn’t climb out on it. I will leave that for another day when my legs were not so tired.

All in all, this was a good run. I am noticing that for the first 10 miles my legs have some bounce but over the last 10, the bounce quickly weans.

I have 1 more day in 20 mile 6 day challenge. Wish me luck on the final day of my run-cation.

The Cool Down Runner






Comments

Popular Posts