Lake Norman State Park Marathon


Last Sunday, I was down at Crowders Mt for some miles. This week, I headed north to Lake Norman State Park for some miles. With the NC state parks reopening, I felt the time was right to venture out to other trails.

Lake Norman State Park has 30+ miles in its Itusi tail system. Probably more than most people realize. With it only being about 30 minutes from Charlotte, the drive is pretty easy and quick one.

Something else pulling me back, I did some running here several years ago, so I decided to head back and recreate this run.

Before heading out, I was loading up my CamelBak with water. As I was filling it, the thought crossed my mind that it was going to be hot today. I decided to fill it completely to the top. This adds a little more weight but having a sip of water when I am hot and tired never gets old.

I headed out from the Lake Shore Trail head running along the edge of the run until I picked up the Laurel Loop which runs roughly 10 miles. The Laurel trail is a bit on the technical side with tight meandering switchbacks. They squeezed a lot miles in to a small amount of space.

Off of the Laurel Loop, I picked up the Wildlife, Fox, and the Fallstown loops. Interestingly, these are easier trails than the Laurel trail. What makes this interesting, they have no way to reach these trails other than running the Laurel Loop. Unless one rides around on the road and there is no parking at the small entrance to these trails.

Probably my favorite was the Wildlife trail which is about 4.5 miles long. Tons of soft dirt and pine needles cushioned each step. I could run it every day.

Coming off the Wildlife loop, I glanced at my Garmin. I was going to be about 10k short of a marathon. I was tired but otherwise, I was feeling pretty well. The weather was much warmer than last weekend but not over the top hot. Today was a good day to be on the trails. This is the moment when I made the decision to push on and hit the marathon distance today. Then, the wheels started turning in my head. Where I could pick up the additional mileage. The Monbo loop checked my box. This trail runs roughly a 10k distance and is rated easy. This is perfect for my needs. Plus, I have never run the Monbo loop which makes it something new to check out. I always love checking out a new trail.

Monbo ran really well. Although, I marked it less than the advertised 10k distance.
Then, I popped out for the final 2.2 miles back to my car. With one loop of the parking lot, my Garmin flashed up 26.2 miles in 5 hours and 14 minutes.

I was glad that I loaded up my CamelBak afterall. I drank the last of it with a half mile left in my run.

Will I continue these longer than normal runs. I don’t know. I enjoy doing them but when the heat pushes upward of 80s and 90s, they are not as much fun. I have to drink so much more water. Otherwise, I turn in to a running zombie.

At this time, I have nothing longer on my calendar for this summer if they even happen. Even the WWC 50 miler this fall has been canceled. It might just be time to stay with some 20 milers until the cool weather comes again. If all goes well, I can load up on longer runs in the fall and be ready for the Black Canyon 100k next February. I am crossing my fingers that it happens.

That’s all I got for now. Hope your running is going well.

The Cool Down Runner





Comments

Popular Posts