Black Canyon 100k

The one buckle missing from ultra distance collection is one for the 100k distance. Since last fall, I have been looking for a 100k to catch my attention.

The Black Canyon 100k checked a lot boxes for me. The race is point to point which is a type of course that I have never done. All of my ultras so far have been loops. Loops are okay, but they can get a little boring. I like to see something new with each step.

Next, I have never raced out west. Black Canyon definitely checks this box. I want to see some other parts of the country, and this race gives me a good place to start. The southwest has some awesome running trails that are just waiting for me to explore.

I am not sure how much of a lung buster that this race will be for me. I live at around 800 ft above sea level. From what I understand this course runs from 6000 to 8000 ft. If my lungs are not burning, I am pretty sure that my quads will be. On the bright side, they give 17 hours to complete it. I think that this doable for me. Let's hope so.

The bigger question is will race happen and how will I get there. At the moment, the race organizer are wait listing all entries until they are sure the race will happen. I may not know for sure that I am going until nearly Feb of '21. Who really knows what the world will be like by then. I would like to fly. Driving while possible, it would be a few days.

All I can do is prepare to race and then scramble at the last minute to put my travel plans in place. Despite the likely numerous huddles, I know that this this will be a great experience. I am already looking forward to it.

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts