Keeping the feel for speed

With each passing day, I feel like I am always loosing steps - always. My leg turnover will never be what it was from even a few years ago. I hate it but I have to accept that this is a part of every runner's life.

Still, I want to do things to slow this process. However, having this Covid moratorium on races is not helping me. I am not going through my normally yearly training progression.

To at least feel like I a doing something meaningful, I have modified my weekly training routine. Three days week usually separated by a day, I have been ending my runs with a fast finish. This is a concept that I used for many years in my marathon training. I brought in to my daily runs because this gives me an opportunity to run hard without putting a lot thought in to it or overly stressful workout on my body. Usually on M, W, & Friday, I will do this fast finish over either the last 1, 2, or 3 miles. I find that I feel fluid and strong upon finishing, and I walk away from the workout feeling really positive about it. I don't exactly what other than running fast has always made me feel better.

Until races start to materialize over the horizon try doing a fast finish in your shorter workouts. I don't know that this will make me super fast. It likely never will but this will give me an easier transition back in to speed work once I have target set of races. Success comes out preparation. Preparation is the work being done now. 

Thoughts to ponder.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts