Run-cation - Day 2 – Crowders' Mt Trails


For day 2 of my run-cation, I headed down to Crowders Mt. Crowders’ is always good for some climbing but I didn’t know what would be open given our Governor’s new orders.


From the signs, nothing appeared to have changed since my visit two weeks ago. The parking lot was empty not that I expected it to be crowded. Heavy rains were forecast to fall all day so I was likely to be the only idiot on the trails.

They have mapped out a loop for people to walk which goes up the Pinnacle trail to the Turnback trail which returns back to the parking. This is about a 2.2 mile loop.

As I was going up along the Pinnacle trail, I noticed that they left trail leading over to the camp grounds open. With camping currently not being allowed, I assumed that they were still allowing people to stroll the trails and gravel road. This was fortunate for me. I wondered down in to this section last year, and I figured that this would give me an opportunity to grab some extra mileage before heading off on the Crowders’ Mt trail.

Unlike yesterday, the rain was already falling when I left my car. In some places, the water would like a torrent coming down the mountain. Dry little branches were now streams with water heading from the high spots to the low spots.

I circled the camp ground road and popped out along the power line. I guess when they built the power line years ago, this road was left over. I don’t know if anyone else ever uses it but I do. This little section adds about 3 miles out and back. It is not well maintained so footing isn’t the best. However, social distancing isn’t a problem either.

Instead of going over the rocks on the Pinnacle trail, I went around them. This was a big mistake. The footing was terrible and made worse the deluge of rain falling. The Turnback trail was flooded in several spots so grabbing the edges was my only choice to pass through.

When I reached the parking lot to end the loop, I quickly turned around and headed the opposite direction. I did not want to give myself too long to think about it.

Back up Turnback and down Pinnacle, this time through the rocks was uneventful. I only saw one other soaked hiker.

I made the hard left and headed toward Crowders’ Mt. I knew that Tower and Backside trails were partially open so I planned on running some repeats if necessary to fill out my 20 miler.

The rocks were slick so I was treading carefully. When I popped out on the from the Crowders’ trail to the Backside trail, I saw the barricades instructing hikers to not proceed to the top. I touched the barrier and headed down Backside to Tower. Then, I ran up Tower to where it intersects with Rock Top. Here, the rangers also had a barricade. I touched it and headed back down. Now, I had a pretty good idea of where I could run. I could run from barrier to barrier which would give me some good climbing.

On the way down Tower, I met a Park Ranger driving up. I suspect that he was wondering what kind of fool would be out in this weather running. Honestly, I was envious of his nice warm truck.

I touched the Backside barrier for the 2nd time and started my second repeat. On the climb back up Tower, I met Park Ranger coming down. He said nothing to me. I guess that he was leaving me to suffer in silence.

Rounding the turn at the Rock Top, I suddenly realize that the barricade was gone along with the signs. Apparently, Crowders Mt is now fully open for business. I couldn’t resist the temptation. I pushed on to the top. I was likely going to be the first person to stand atop Crowders in several months. Some things are just too enticing to fight back. .

Of course, the view was lost in the white fluffy clouds so in my big moment, I couldn't see anything. The rain was still falling so I only indulged myself for a second or two. Time to head back down the trail and finish up this run.

All told, I only saw 4 people during the entire run. Everyone looked pretty much liked I did – soaked.

Tomorrow, I am off to Latta Plantation for some miles.

The Cool Down Runner    

Comments

Popular Posts