Run-cation - Day 3 – Latta Plantation Nature Park Trails


For day 3 of my run-cation, I headed to Latta Plantation Nature Park for some miles. Honestly, I am not sure why I don’t run here more. These trails are less than 5 miles from my house. However, I have not run on them in more than say 3 or 4 years.



I started with the Shady Trail and headed toward the western side of the park. I picked up a few of their hiking trails down by the water. But with the recent rain, some sections of the trail were flooded. I had to do some inline trekking to get around the flooded areas.

Coming back on the other side of the road, I picked up the Catawba and Buzzard Rock Trails. Buzzard Rock does give a nice of the lake, but there is another view which is even better. I picked up a couple more hiking trails before back tracking along the some of the trails. Then, I ran the Shady Trail in reverse back to parking lot.

With nearly 13 miles in the books, I headed out along the Hill trail. A long the way, I picked up the Split Rock Trail. Then I moved to the Cove Trail. Toward the midpoint of the Cove Trail, there is a short path out to the water. This little extension is work the extra run because the water's edge gives a much better view of lake. I wish I had my camera.

As I was looping around the backside of the Cove Trail, I was lost in thought. Then, a noise registered in the back of mind which brought my attention front and center. I was trying to reconcile what I was hearing. Someone seemed to be singing. Was I really hearing this correctly? I rounded the bend in the trail, and here was another runner coming toward me singing. I wasn’t going crazy. He was truly singing. I didn’t recognize the song but I did remember his flaming red hair.

After passing him, the rest of my run was uneventful. But I couldn’t help but smile. In my many years of running, I don’t recall ever seeing another runner singing. That is, they were singing while running. That’s something that I don’t have the wind to do.

Changing shoes back my car, I heard a familiar sound coming in the distance. He was coming back in to the parking lot, and he was still singing. As I drove away, I wondered how much faster that he could run if wasn’t singing. Guess, I will never know.


The Cool Down Runner    

Comments

Popular Posts