Toughening up the workouts

With just over 6 weeks from my marathon race, I am in the heart of my training. This week and next week may be some of the toughest weeks in this training cycle.

My week started off with a 5 mile tempo early Monday morning. I did a two mile warm up and then headed right into the tempo run. The first mile was 6:05, and the 2nd and 3rd miles were run at 6:00 minutes. Mile 4 was covered 5:52 and mile 5 was covered in 5:47. Talk about tough. I was whipped when I finished. Somehow the last three miles of cool down did seem much easier.

This was followed by another early more run with Megan on Wednesday. We ran about 6 miles before starting a session of very long intervals. The interval lasted 20 minutes. This was followed by a short recovery and then we cranked the pace up again for 10 minutes. We took another short recovery before finishing it off with 5 minutes really hard. This work out was done as part of a 16 mile run. I definitely felt the burn from it.

Tomorrow, mile repeats will be on the to-do list. This weekend, I will hit a 24 mile long run. Next week, I will be back on the intervals with some 800s and then finish off the week with the Cupids Cup 5k.

The following week I will for the most part let my legs rest and recover. They will need it because I will be enjoying scenery around Myrtle Beach while running the ½ marathon. My goals are not set for the ½ as yet. My legs have been slow to recover and I know it's from running too many miles and from running them probably too hard. If I can somehow get myself to give 85% to 90% on race day, I will certainly be happy. I never ask my body to give a 100% until marathon day.

I hope everyone else's training and races are going well. If you are out the next couple of weeks, look me up.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts