On my own terms

Two early morning group runs and two times I have been hit with the same suggestion. Have you ever thought about taking a day off?

This suggestion was embedded within our conversations about my so slow in healing hamstring. Maybe it was my whining about my hamstring being slow healing that brought on this suggestion. I don't know. I didn't ask.

But my reply is always the same.

The short answer is – Yes. And I have had this thought of ending my running streak on more than one occasion. However, most of the time, I just dismiss idea. After so many years of going out the door every day, going for a run is as close to breathing for me as I can get.

I don't think about it. I just do it. Not too many of us can say that.

But if I ever do decide to end my running streak, I don't want it to come as the result of an injury or in some way being coerced in to missing a day.

I want it to be on a day where I decide it is time to end it.

I want it to be a day where I end it on my own terms.

I just have not reached that day yet.


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts