More about ties

Sometimes Pandora box gets opened and I never know where a topic may lead. In this case, Richard Hefner commented on my post about wearing the chip on your shoe. His comment was thought provoking and so I decided to do a follow up post.

What Richard was saying – even the slight of thing can impact your finish time. If I wear my chip on my right shoe, but the left shoe crosses the finish line first, there is that split second lost.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make much difference to most of us, but as you can see from my race last weekend, it could.

Richard made a really good point about which foot crosses the finish first. Yet, I am still unsure how to perfect my stride such that I always cross the finish line chip foot first. More thought needs to be given to Richard's idea.

However, Richard comment did point me to another place where I could conceivably grab an advantage. This is at the start. Now, if you are not on the starting line, I am not sure this would help you, but for those that do like to be right up front, it is food for thought.

Normally, I wear my chip on my right foot. I am right hand dominate and therefore my right foot dominates. When I start a race, my left foot is always forward next to the mat, and my right foot is back and ready to supply the first push of power out of the gate. A secondary reason I do it this way is since I don't have the chip on my left shoe, I don't trigger the timing software that a chip is in its zone of coverage. Thus, I could be a few inches closer.

But using Richard's idea, I am now thinking about reversing things. By putting the chip shoe first, I could gain a split second. My first stride over the mat would be with the chipless shoe and followed by the shoe with the chip. This slight delay should actually reduce my chip time over my gun time. One never knows, this could make the difference at the end of 3.1 miles.

Now most of you are out there saying that I am extending more effort than it is worth and maybe you are right. But just wait until you are the one coming up 2nd in a two horse race.

In being totally forth coming, none of this would have helped me in Saturday's race. Queen City Timing uses chips on the bibs. Myron and I started side by side. I just got out leaned at the line. Run the tangents. Pump the arms. Now, I have to remember to either lean at the finish or get my chip shoe across first.

Who says running is an easy sport?


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts