Downtime for the Soul

People talk about why they don't see individuals out running any more. Why don't they come out to group runs, do speed work, or see them at races any more?

I have often wondered the same question myself from time to time.

With no single right answer, one is left to ponder.

I suspect at times family takes a precedent or their job or anyone of a number of things. More often than not, I believe they just tire of the rut that comes with hard training every day. The getting up at 5 AM to get in their run. Having the Saturday morning's weekly race to attend which is always followed by the ritual of a Sunday morning long run to finish. The endless effort to schedule life around a task that to others outside of running doesn't even see as having any value and leaves us dragging to recovery for the rest of the day.

Admit it, how many days in a row can anyone of us eat the same food every day. Burgers, fries, and drink get pretty old pretty quick.

There was a time in the early 90s where things were busy and running wasn't really a priority in my life. Perhaps these were some of my best times running ever. Never a care was given to how hard the run should be or how far it should be.

Mostly, the runs were governed by how I felt. If I had something going on, my run was short and easy. If the weather was nice, I might go 12 or 15 miles. If the legs felt tired, I would run easy. I never created a plan and never followed a schedule. I simply headed out the front door and went where ever I liked.

Running can consume your life if you let it. But it is okay to step back and press the reset button on life.

Taking a little downtime was is not only good for the mind and the body, the time away is good for the soul.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts