Shoes stories

For some odd reason this morning my brain was thinking about running shoes. This intern took me back to a couple of shoe stories that I thought that I would share – funny ones or at least I think so.

Both of the stories happened within the last few years so it could me mean that old age is finally setting in.

Both occurred during early morning predawn runs.

On the first one, I was meeting some people at Old Bell for a run at McAlpine. Several people had already arrived when I pulled up. As you might expect, I was talking with them while changing out my shoes. Then, we all headed out for our run. For the entire run something felt different. I just couldn't put my finger on it. At least not until, we finished and I was changing out of my running shoes. That's when I noticed it; I was wearing two different brands of shoes: one Brooks and one New Balance. Not one person noticed it during the run or if they did they didn't say anything. I noticed, but it took my 2 hours to figure it out. To this day, I have not made that mistake again.

The 2nd interesting story occurred a while back. Like I said earlier this was on an early morning run so maybe it is not my mind that is going but my eyes. Anyway, as usual I changed into my running shoes at the start of the run and headed out with the group. In the interest of over sharing, I usually only wear a pair of running shoes once a week, but after wearing them a few times, I tend to remember how they feel. In this case, my shoes felt like they had a lot of extra room. This is ironic because most running shoes are usually snug at the start and tend to stretch a little while you are wearing them, but not a start of this run. By the end of the run, I did notice that my legs felt a little more beat up than usual. My first thought, the shoes might be ready to turn out to pasture. But when I pulled them off, that's when I figured it out. No insoles. I had just been running on the rubber in the bottom of the shoes. To this day, I don't remember why I removed the insoles or didn't notice they were not in the shoes before putting them on.

Just so you know - One of the things that I strive to do is not make the same mistake twice, but it doesn't stop me from making new ones.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts