Are doubles important?

Sometimes during my marathon training I feel pretty much like I have no life. I suspect most of you feel the same way during your marathon preparation. My day is consumed with eating, sleeping, working, and of course running.

Which brings me to the point of today's post, often during my marathon training, I will do double runs. I will tackle some miles in the predawn hours, pass the day working at my desk, and then fill the evening with a 2nd workout of some type. Often the 2nd run is shorter and easier because I like my stressor workouts to occur during the morning. There something to be said about getting it done early that always feels good.

But as I get closer to my marathon race day, I follow a pattern similar to most marathoners. I tend to cut back on the mileage and to accomplish this I typically reduce or drop my 2nd workout of the day. That is until I read Mark's recent blog on keeping the doubles but reducing the overall mileage.

Reading his post, I am reconsidering how I may stack those last few workouts during the weeks just before Boston. I might just opt to keep the daily doubles but cut back more on the morning workout. I still have not made up my mind, but if I go down that path, I would certainly share how it works out for me.

Hey, if you are reading this don't tell Mike and Nathan. I need them to stay slow so I can keep up with them.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts